When we told Nevie that we were going to the beach, she was so excited. That's all she talked about for weeks. So much so that one evening we were on our way to dinner, and Nevie told us that she did not want to go out to eat. She said and I quote, "I don't wanna go to a restaurant and eat. I just wanna....I just wanna...I just wanna go to the beeeeeeach"!!! Note to self...next time I will not tell her so long in advance. :)
Our first morning there, I took Nevie straight to the ocean (Chad was in a law seminar). It was freezing, but Nevie still put her feet in and marveled at the endless water. She was excited when the small waves that had petered out lapped up on her ankles until....a bigger one came and knocked her on her bottom. The look on her face...if only I had a chance to capture it. After that, she said...."I don't like the....what's it called?" I said, "ocean". Nev said, "yeah the ocean....I don't like the ocean anymore". So much for that. :)
We enjoyed the pool (much safer in Nev's mind) and also went to the sand dunes and visited the Sea Turtle Rescue Center. We learned a lot about how sea turtles are hurt out in the ocean. Some are harmed by sharks or litter. The rescue center saves sea turtles and nurses them back to health so that they can be released back into the water when possible. Currently, this rescue center is the home of the one and only sea turtle with a prosthetic. This turtle was found with only one flipper. A sea turtle cannot get around with only one flipper so they made a prosthetic for her. She will live out the rest of her life at the center. It was amazing to see. Nevie loved spending time at the center.
Needless to say, we had a fabulous time with our sweet pea and she loved every minute of it.
 |
| Da Beeeeeach! I'm finally here. |
 |
| Let's hit the water. |
 |
| The water is cold. |
 |
| After the mean ocean knocked me down, I had to warm up and decided I'd rather play in the sand. |
 |
| Enough with the pictures. |
 |
| Ready to get in the pool. |
 |
| Refreshments |
 |
| Taking a rest and hydrating. |
 |
| Just a floatin' |
 |
| Silly girls. |
 |
| No hands! |
 |
| She's getting away! |
 |
| Seriously, the most fun ever! |
 |
| Sand Dunes |
 |
| We made it! |
 |
| At the Sea Turtle Rescue Center |
 |
| This poor guy only has two flippers. |
 |
| This is the turtle with the prosthetic! Amazing!! |
 |
| This sea turtle likes lettuce. |
 |
| Time for lunch at Blackbeard's/ We worked up an appetite. |
 |
| What a day....she's wiped out. |
 |
| Those teeth aren't sharp. |
 |
| Inside jaws. |
 |
| More sand time. |
 |
| Our family at the beach 2013. |
No comments:
Post a Comment